Final Fantasy XIV - Planning Early

Square Enix continues their online legacy through Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV. Come here to discuss the past, present, and future of Final Fantasy Online!

Moderators: Frisbee Dog, Ryoko

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Emerje
Post Spaming Otaku
Post Spaming Otaku

Re: Final Fantasy XIV - Planning Early

Postby Emerje » 04/01/2010 @ 09:37 PM

I may or may not be in the alpha phase (which has been pushed back to "early April") but can neither confirm or deny that due to a non-disclosure agreement that I may or may not have agreed to. ;)

Read into that what you will. :D There has been quite a bit of info put out in the past week, but it's all been in Japanese so you need to rely on sites like Eorzeapedia to translate it. Hopefully they keep their YouTube channel updated regularly.

Emerje

Ghost Dog
Someone Please Ban Me!!
Someone Please Ban Me!!

Ghost Dog likes Monster Hunter, boxes, Team Taco.

Postby Ghost Dog » 08/15/2010 @ 06:10 PM

So this game is almost upon is. September 22nd for the Collector's Edition, September 30th for regular.

We need to make sure everyone is on the same server this go around. Who is going to be there at launch?
Monster Hunter Tri - Magrim - DD9ZAZ - HR11

Sheogorath
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Sheogorath likes Collecting sturdy cardboard boxes.

Postby Sheogorath » 08/19/2010 @ 10:25 PM

I never played the first because I heard how hard it was. Now, i'm a huge graphics whore that is constantly upgrading my PC (And bragging about benchmark scores on PC boards) and this game looks absolutely stunning in screenshots. I'm kind of tempted to try it, but so far no MMO has lasted me more than a couple months maximum. This is usually due to the high mid level difficulty curve, the inability of me to afford equipment I need to survive and the overly complicated gameplay.

Bottom line: Are those things a problem in FF14? Think I'd enjoy it? WoW was actually *too* easy and looked like absolute ass, and a Graphics Whore PC gamer like me with more money than common sense can't stand to run old looking games on my uber PCs. Yet at the same time I found DAoC and EQ2 to be too hard. I always wanted something in-between.
SheogorathV2 Level 141 RAcast - Viridia ID (Gamecube Version)
Sheogorath Level 103 Fortegunner (PSU - PC Version)

Sheogorath
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Sheogorath » 08/25/2010 @ 03:26 PM

Wow, I am definitely not getting FF14 now. I just read a few sites (and some angry forum threads elsewhere) that said Squarenix puts a cap on you where after 8 hours of play in one week you stop gianing experience altogether and have to wait until next week to gain experience again.

Wow, that's just bad. I know MMOs are addicting, but who gave them the right to do this?

Ghost Dog
Someone Please Ban Me!!
Someone Please Ban Me!!

Ghost Dog likes Monster Hunter, boxes, Team Taco.

Postby Ghost Dog » 08/28/2010 @ 09:11 PM

From FF14news.com..

Square Enix has calculated (guessed/tested) how many skill points a player can approximately earn in 8 hours.
If you gain this amount of skill points in an 8 hour period you start to become fatigued (gaining fewer skill points per monster).
Over the next 7 hours worth of skill points (after the first eight), you will slowly gain fewer skill per monster killed. The amount of skill points you gain slowly decreases over these 7 hours.
Once the 7 hours worth of skill-points is gained, you will no longer be able to gain skill points for that class.
You are able to switch classes and start gaining skill points for the new class as each class has their own fatigue systems/timers.
Fatigued classes will become 100% not-fatigued over the course of a week. This means you fatigued classes will become less fatigued for each hour you are not gaining skill points for it.
Experience points you gain for your physical level follows the same system described above for skill points.
Since you gain physical level EXP regardless of what class you are playing, you can only get physical level EXP for 15 hours worth of leveling per week. (Note, they are looking at tweaking the numbers for physical level to not be as harsh as the skill point fatigue system.)

Keep in mind that we are still in beta and have about a month until release. With the amount of press this system is getting, it could change. At the same time, it may be in place to prevent people from hitting max level too quickly, so the system could stay where it is.

It's not quite as dire as some people think.

It's also still in beta; I am sure S-E will evaluate player feedback and adjust accordingly.

This is not a deal breaker for me, as I am a family man that can't log in and grind 4-8 hours a day anyway. As much as I want it to be, gaming just isn't as high on my priority list as it used to be.
Monster Hunter Tri - Magrim - DD9ZAZ - HR11

Sheogorath
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Sheogorath » 08/29/2010 @ 11:11 PM

It's per week though, not per day. 7+8=15 hours a week of skill points, afterward you gain nothing. That's pretty bad, IMHO.

I was talking to a friend about this and even though he doesn't play MMOs he thought it was crazy. I suppose the whole "Play till you drop" thing has gotten out of hand so this was inevitable.

I rarely play online games anyway. I'm far too anti-social.

Sciler
Dorkass CEO and President
Dorkass CEO and President

Sciler likes gamers muscle and Sonny Chiba

Postby Sciler » 09/18/2010 @ 10:41 AM

Ryo and I wont be getting it. He got into the open beta and was not impressed at all. We'll be going for Guild Wars 2 once it's out for sure, at least thats the plan. But until then...I WOW! =P
www.facebook.com/sciler
Keeper of the Taint
Full Frontal Nerdity

RuneLateralus
#1 In Da Hood, G!
#1 In Da Hood, G!

RuneLateralus likes Staring at shiney objects for hours.

Postby RuneLateralus » 09/20/2010 @ 12:53 AM

I will be passing on FFXIV as well. While I didn't try the beta, I did not like FFXI too much (had more fun when we were playing the Japanese version and not knowing what the hell we were doing...or at least me not knowing what I was doing). Looks like I will be sticking to WoW for Cataclysm.

Previous

Return to Final Fantasy Online